Re: Re: Armor and equipment

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 19:38:49 +0000 (GMT)

> I would make all armours an ability,
> not just for "Special items", mainly for settings
> resistances for doing movement activities, such as swimming,
> jumping, climbing and running.

Sorry to belabour the point: Why do bits of completely ordinary equipment need to be abilities? Especially if a character isn't ever going to use them to resolve conflicts - they're just things he or she needs to use their abilities. You can roll everything up into the resistance.

"At the end of the last exchange Hrothric was whisked across the ravine by a sylph he'd summoned. He's standing there laughing at you, unslinging his bow. What are you doing?"

"I want to clear the ravine, and if possible slam into the bugger when I hit the other side and knock that smug grin of his face."

"What ability are you using?"

"'Wiry and athletic' - I'm going to jump it."

"And you're still wearing that full suit of iron chain? And carrying your sword and shield?"

"Too right!"

"Sounds very hard to me..."

Another question to consider is what do you set the abilities to so they're useful to the character without swamping everything else they can do AND so that character improvement doesn't render the negative effects pointless?

> Of cause, if a medium or heavy armoured character fell into
> deep water, they would just drown. I still like to have a
> certain amount of realism.

If they've been involved in a contest that produced a 'dying' result that sounds fair enough. That'd take a complete defeat though.