Re: Armor and equipment

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 21:39:40 -0800

On 12 Nov 2011, at 16:37, michaelL wrote:

> What would you do if the chief gave you a very fine mail hauberk as a gift? Would you use it as an ability? Instead of your sword fighting skill? That doesn't make much sense. Would it be an lingering benefit. That kind of makes sense. Or an augment?

In our games yes, we would spend a hero point to cement the gift.

And sure, it makes total sense to overcome story obstacles using that ability. "Korol wades into battle, relying on Dragonhide to keep him safe while he presses the attack."

But that could be the same way you describe an augment. Which you pick may depend on whether you are trying to totally maximize your target number, or whether you are trying to impress the chief by relying on the hauberk.

I think you are still thinking in terms of simulation (as in "how much does the hauberk help me fight?"). I keep saying that because it took ME a LONG time to stop. But that's not what HeroQuest is about.

(I won't get into arguing credibility, but ask yourself if the Mongols had more armor than those they defeated. Or the longbowmen at Crecy. Or David vs Goliath.)

David Dunham