Re: Gloranthan HQ2 - Broadness of Occupational Keywords

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 21:49:40 -0800

Ashley

> The first thing to consider with the whole specific ability bonus thing is the last sentence of the section on specific ability bonuses: "If you can’t make an easy snap judgment, the modifier is 0."
>
> (Typo's not mine for once, it's in the original text)

What typo?

I think it's pretty rare you'd be pitting keywords against each other, but it does seem like a fyrdman fighting using his Clan would be at a disadvantage to a warrior using his Weaponthane keyword.

Sarah

> I'm not talking about Specific Ability bonuses - I'm clear on that. I'm talking about Broad Ability *penalties*, which is a different thing entirely.

Really, I think the point is to encourage specialization because it's interesting. Yes, a player can take an ability like "Genius" but that's very broad and would end up used all the time which is boring. So the system gives the narrator a way to discourage it.

If you don't think players are being abusive, I'd only worry about it if they are directly comparing abilities. (Or like Jamie said, if someone is trying to out-track the Tracker using his generic Hunter ability.)

David Dunham