Re: Levels and improvement

From: Bo Whitten <lorgryt_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 19:27:53 -0000

I can see both sides of this. On the one hand it is a story element, but when dealing with players from more traditional games there is an expectation of statistical growth.

In fact, Robin makes the point that it is expected in HQ2 with the rule set that increases Resistance and an effect of playing (page 72-73).

But, having read the insert in the book I did think of a dozen setting ideas that would require little or no advancement and still be fun. A Western Gunfighter game wouldn't need it really.

But, then again, neither would any game in which the Narrator gave character advancement not in points to spend but in the every changing challenges and effects. It is and inverse to the Resistance effect. The challenges are harder sounding but the resistance is about the same.

When the characters started sneaking into the club underage was difficult, now sneaking into the Army Fort is and the club is a piece of cake. Their "Unnoticed" Ability is the same, the description is different.

This would drive the story and the sense of accomplishment but put all of the character advancement in the hands of the Narrator.

Not a bad idea but I have one friend that would crap a solid brick if I did that. He would feel like I was railroading him even though he has 100% control of his actions (I have always "sand boxed" games). He ,literally, needs to advance his character or he will either loose interest or have a schism the likes of which The Great Old Ones inspire. So, as interesting and useful as the idea is I can't use it with him and let him know I am doing it.

Bo