Re: Intro

From: Bo <lorgryt_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 14:40:16 -0800

On 11/23/2011 1:01 PM, Aaron Stockser wrote:
> Basically...
>
> What Ash said ;D
>
> *****************************************************************************************************************
>
> The one thing I really want to add (as it was something I struggled with
> till I "got it") is that, unlike pretty much every other RPG we've played,
> in HeroQuest a *Star Destroyer has NO STATS*
>
> A Star Destroyer (or a freakin' *Fleet* of Star Destroyers) in HQ is pretty
> much always going to fall into one of two categories - a *Resistance*
> or a *Plot
> Device*.
>
> Based on time spent on the scene, I'd argue that the *3* Star Destroyers
> over Mos Eisley were either a Low Resistance or (for me) an Automatic
> Success for the Falcon's "She may not look like much, but she's got it
> where it counts" Ability.
>
> The Star Destroyer in the escape from Hoth was a much higher Resistance,
> and the one that captured the Blockade Runner was a Plot Device.
>
> In HQ, there is no such thing as a "generic Star Destroyer" with Stats and
> Abilities and Ratings and whatnot. *Every* Opponent/Encounter/Challenge the
> PCs face in HQ must needs be defined situationally, in the context of the
> story, scene, and setting, and even then the focus is on the appropriate
> Resistance level, not what cool Abilities/Modifiers/Keywords you can come
> up with to define it.
>
> It's incredibly liberating when you "get it" - but your head will asplode
> if you keep falling back into a traditionalist/simulationist perspective.

I kind of did "get it" but at the same time was thrown off by Hero Wars (which I have had for years) book "Anaxial's Roster" which gives "generic" stats. But, I also realize it is based on a version of the game in which "sword" is an item that aids ability, not an item that is assumed in ability and distracts FROM it if it is missing (perhaps to the point of making in unusable... hard to cut up a watermelon with a blade you ain't got).

But, being a recovering simulations I am still getting little "where's the beef" thoughts. But I am getting well! LOL

Thanks, also, because this puts into words what I have been half thinking for a few days. Helps me "get it". :)

Bo