Re: Starships and Lifepods

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 14:47:02 -0800

On 26 Nov 2011, at 11:03, Bo wrote:
>> So how many points of damage does a blaster do isn't quite as
>> ridiculous maybe, but it's equally unnecessary. Blasters can be used
>> to try to resolve story situations. Perhaps there are situations where
>> Big Blaster has an advantage over Blaster, but in most story
>> situations it doesn't matter.
>>

> I was thinking about that too. One way I was thinking of dealing with
> this (because I have gear-head friends) is to give differing weapons
> some modifiers (Hold-Out Blaster -3, Heavy Blaster +3, etc). But this
> looks like it might be a wrong approach.

IMO it would be.

Especially because any gear-head knows that a heavy blaster, since it uses more energy per blast, has a lower rate of fire. The total energy dissipation, joules/second, is the same. So they should have the same rating.

> But I think if I do this I
> simply look at the contest sides (PCs have heavy blasters the opposition
> has regular blasters the Resistance is reduced by 3). This approach
> seems to be in the spirit of the rules and a lot easier on everyone
> involved.

Or look at it the other way around. If for story reasons you decide the players need a challenge, describe them as facing heavy blasters. If you decide they should have an easy contest, the opposition is lightly armed.

David Dunham