Re: Starships and Lifepods

From: Aaron Stockser <nwn2.wow_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:11:02 -0800

The way I finally got around this/got it through my head was when I finally realized/accepted that a Contest, even a round of an Extended Contest, did not *in any way* relate to a single or fixed number of "attacks" even if I or the player were describing/narrating it that way.

At that point, the need for modifiers went away.

Explaining to your players that R2D2's *Droid Resourcefulness *is as (if not more) effective at overcoming whole groups of opponents as *Heavy Blaster* or *Lightsaber* might help it start to make a bit more sense.

Another way to drive the point home is to ask any player who writes *Heavy Blaster* or *Holdout Blaster* on their character sheet why it's there and what it represents to them. If they say "Well of course I need a blaster to fight!" remind them that they don't need *Blaster* on their character sheet to own or use one.

*Smuggler's Cunning,* *My Father's Mandelorian Battle Armor, *or Leia's *I'll
do it myself Damnit!* are far more interesting and enjoyable Abilities (to
me* *at least) than *Heavy Blaster*.

If you want to strongly impress on them the change in mindset, tell them that they can't have any Equipment Abilities at all but are rather expected/encouraged to come up with Abilities that describe *how* or *why*they fight/fly/open doors/end communications.