Re: Re: Starships and Lifepods

From: Bo <lorgryt_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 13:57:45 -0800

Replying to both of you:

I can see the pros and cons on both sides.

While I understand the way HeroQuest is built and can be played there is absolutely no reason NOT to gear it out... at least from a system standpoint. If Heavy Blaster gives a +5 and Hold-Out gives a +2 (^5 and ^2 from Hero Wars) the system is not going to break. It will balance out in play. It has the real drawback in painting the narrator into a corner by their own gear. By, system wise, no real issue.

That being said, Hero Wars is not HeroQuest no matter how much they have the same father. Each has its own feel. HQ is a pure story system and HW is a midpoint between HQ and RQ. Of the 3 I like RQ a little better than HQ, and HQ better then HW. But, I did not get into HQ because it could do what RQ does just like RQ... that would be a waste of time. I got into it to use a storytelling system that worked! LOL

As for breaking in my players, I am tempted to tell them I am going to introduce them to the system with a silly game set in Star Wars. A Mangy Wookie with a lisp, a little girl who beats her Ewok doll to relieve her frustration, a Babysitting Droid with a bent optical receptor (farsighted) and an out of work slacker-janitor with a fetish for hentai. None of them have traditional skills, just abilities like "Scratch Flees", "Flip to my favorite page" and "Naughty Ewok!"

Once they are ready to play a purely silly game I start it and after a little bit of game play they start getting pelted with small bits of debris. Upon investigating (they will, I know them) they will be in the middle of Ani Skywalker's destruction of the Temple. They will have to use the "BS" skills to get things done and live through the problems of the rise of the Empire.

I figure once they use "Mommy said you can't!" to stop a Clone Trooper attack they will be in love with the system. The sand-box nature of self-naming abilities and the "how do you use it?" will sell them very fast. Besides, it is a dark and funny setting to start the game with. They will probably not want to go to a "more serious" setting with the rules.

Bo