Re: 1 Rule to Ring them all...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 17:03:51 +0100 (BST)

> > Suppose Geo 1 and Geo 2 have ability scores 1W and 2W respectively
> > (appropriately enough), and are engaged in a Generic Contest. These
> > scores get cancelled to 1 and 2. Geo 1 rolls a 1: has he crit'd, or
> > succeeded?

Jeff:

> Ah, yes. He just succeeded.

That has the merit of being the most consistent with the printed rule (flakey though it is...). But it's more than a little weird: it means a guy with 1W fighting another master (3W, let's say) can't crit, ever -- whereas, back in the good old days when he was a mere non-master, he _could_ have crit'd, fighting the same opponent.

> I view getting you 1w is the price you pay for a) a smooth
> system and b) getting a new Mastery.

As a reward, though, getting a new Mastery is the game-mechanical equivalent of a Badge of Orc-Impressing. The 1 rule and 20 rule have nothing to do with having a smooth system, though; they're just adding small warts that accomplish little, and actually make it _less_ smooth in places.

Now, my d12-based HW knock-off: that's smooth, for you...

Cheers,
Alex.