Re: Re: Keywords vs Abilities

From: Nikodemus Siivola <nikodemus_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 09:58:33 +0200

On 7 December 2011 08:25, <lindharin_at_...> wrote:

> Now, let's build a Spidey Clone using just the broad ability, also starting at 10W2 and
> applying the same 24 improvement points to it.  Again if my math is right, he'd end up
> with Amazing Spider Powers 14W3.  Even with a severe penalty for being a broad ability,
> that is still noticeably higher than the real Spiderman's score, even in a contest of
> webbing or spider senses specifically.

Right -- and if he spends just 1 point per on each breakout ability he no longer suffers the broad ability penalty, and still has 12W3 in the main ability.

I think this doesn't matter, and yet find it ridiculously broken.

In my games I've only used abilities without breakouts, so I don't speak from experience, but /if/ I wanted to use breakouts I would probably say that you need to raise at least one breakout ability each time you raise the main ability -- or something along those lines. Using the same examples, this would mean that starting from 10W2 and applying 24 points on top, you'd end up with 18W2 and 8 points in breakouts.

Cheers,