Re: Keywords vs Abilities

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 20:16:23 -0800

On 6 Dec 2011, at 22:25, lindharin_at_... wrote:

> Hmmm... Maybe Jedi Knight, Farmer and Paladin aren't "good" candidates for abilities either. Maybe they should all be keywords too, although that just leads into a recursive loop. I need to give this some more thought.

Those all seem like keywords to me, though to some extent it would depend on the type of story you want. In the saga of Luke Skywalker, the fact he was once a farmer is either:

  1. Interesting color, since he hardly ever grows stuff (ability)
  2. The reason he knows how to repair and operate all sorts of gear, like any high-tech moisture farmer (keyword)

Note too that if you only plan a short campaign, you probably want to ignore keywords or keep them as high-level as possible. If you plan a really long game, you might expect players to do a lot more specializing within a keyword as time goes on.

Generally this sort of thing is more of a Narrator choice than a player choice.

David Dunham