Re: Ganging up on opponents

From: Aaron Stockser <nwn2.wow_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 11:30:34 -0800

For me the game works best when I think of it as an asymmetrical system - all modifiers are applied on the PCs' side and Opposition is only thought of as an appropriate Resistance, so in your example all the PCs would face the same Resistance, possibly with individual situational Modifiers or Augments.

Since this topic was brought up I've been thinking about other various ways to run "Epic" encounters like a group fighting a dragon and such. Possibilities include:
1 - Breaking the fight down into a whole series of sequential individual Simple Contests (first PC attempts to get the dragon's attention, which modifies the Resistance on the next PC's attempt to sneak behind it, and so on).
2 - Running it as a Group Simple Contest (HQ2 pg 32) where the results of each PC's action not described until all results are known 3 - Combination of 1 & 2 so each PC is acting in each Contest

I dislike the Multiple Opponents rules for Extended Contests. They often just don't capture the "Narrative" feel I'm looking for. In a Swashbucklers campaign PCs fighting off 20 (or more!) minions seems completely appropriate. The example of the PC/NPC debate (HQ2 pg 41) wouldn't make sense to me with Multiple Opponent penalties. They make a bit more sense in a fight like the detailed example (HQ2 pg 44-49), but even then I sometimes like the ability to have all the Contests end at the same time in classic narrative Climactic fashion.