Re: Re: stretches and credibility checks - anyone else having difficulty?

From: Bo <lorgryt_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:09:50 -0800

There is a concept in the game called an Extended Contest. It is not unlike Combat Rounds from other systems, but works on a different level.

In a combat using an Extended Contests there are several ways this can be done; each based on the story setup. If a group of fighters faces a group of fighters (OK Corral) each PC might make a separate extended action as a part of the contest. Each action being described by the results.

It is possible for a group of characters to face a group of combatants and work as a group (D-Day) in which each is contesting with their success going to a central total, but the time involved being hours rather than seconds.

It is also possible for one character to face a group with the others supporting the fight by casting spells or giving other help. In this case they add Augments to the combatant.

In all of these cases (and this is not the limit, just those I am able to think of right now) the time of the contest is based on the story, the situation is based on the story and the actions of the characters IS the story. It isn't a traditional approach to the concepts of combat, but it's story based. It seems that this concept is the hardest part of HQ. But, it is a long way from difficult to get or use, just a different approach.

This is system about story, it is about what the characters want to do and how they go about doing it. It is not about guns, bullets, money, bolts or other "consumables". As someone said to me here (paraphrased): How many times have you seen a character in a book or movie talk about their gear in detail or spend time choosing which tool to use to do the job?

Read books, watch movies and tv shows and you will see that the story is the thing.

Bo