Re: Friendly NPC Ability Scores

From: Bo <lorgryt_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 05:57:58 -0800

On 12/19/2011 3:59 AM, SARAH wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm now happily using the pass/fail cycle for setting resistances in
> my HQ2 games, but am wondering what to do about friendly NPCs.
>
> We're playing Return to Apple Lane, and the PCs are about to face
> Erianda and Darsten's assault on the pawn shop. I'm wondering about
> how to model Gringle nd Eighty-Eyes' role in the conflict. I can see
> Eighty-Eyes bolstering the pawn shop's resistance to attack,
> performing assists, Gringle shouting encouragement and bashing heads, etc.
>
> Now, I could just assign arbitrary bonuses for the PCs to represent
> this assistance, but I'm wondering how people assign scores to NPC
> allies in their games. I could stat out Gringle and Eighty-Eyes as
> full-blown characters with ability scores, but somehow that feels
> contrary to the HQ2 ethos of 'everything is a resistance'. However,
> simply assigning NPCs resistances based on the pass/fail cycle
> initially feels inappropriate, as they aren't adversaries. But maybe
> that's what the RAW envisage?
>
> Any thoughts? How do you model NPCs assisting PCs in your games?

I haven't read the HQ2 version of this, but ran the RQ version a few times. In my mind the two NPCs use assists to aid the PCs. I would assign then a single rank in being helpful their way and check the Assist Result Table every time the help (it adds to the feel they are doing something).

That being said, there is no reason at all NOT to stat them out if you want. Some NPCs should be just so their are clear. These two I wonder about. I am running a Star Wars game and have stated out Feedon Nadd for two reasons: 1) it helps me understand what he can do and why he would; 2) when a player grouses I can show them the stat and say "what were you expecting... Sith Lord, remember?"

Bo