Re: Friendly NPC Ability Scores

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 08:44:08 -0800

On 20 Dec 2011, at 20:42, SARAH wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies - some good advice and food for thought. I guess the discussion has helped me focus on my main question, which is really one of magnitude - how do you quantify the impact an NPC ally has on your session? Of course you can handwave everything, but I'm looking for something a little more structured, perhaps along the lines of the pass / fail cycle.

I don't think it's quite relevant to what you're planning at Gringle's, but the idea of plot augments crossed my mind. You'd run a short series of contests to visit and persuade a powerful NPC, and then get the augment.

One reason supporting characters may have stats is that you'll find them useful for resistance. For example, the mayor's "Friend to Everyone" would be real useful on your behalf, but you need to roll against it first because everyone else is making demands on his time.

David Dunham