Re: Languages

From: Bo <lorgryt_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:21:59 -0700

All of that being said I see your point too, David. But, the core issue is "how does the lack of understanding help or hinder the story, not the characters?"

When I started playing RQ, back before Starbrow began that rebellion, I had a standard rule that besides the native tongue each member of the Lightbringers and Sartar cults as well as the residents of Pavis all talked Tradetalk at INTx3. In HQ2 it would be at 14, or more likely in the Keyword of the Lightbringer, Sartar or Pavis cults.

My reason was I didn't want to deal with the BS of the characters misunderstanding each other. But, I did have several games in which Praxins gave the horse-types a hard time by refusing to learn "Trashtalk". So, it comes down to "how does this help or hinder the story?"

Remember, too, that picking up a new Ability is not hard at all, so if it is an issue have them spend a week and some Lunars and learn it from a temple. (And if they are trolls it is better of the Lunars are still alive... ;) )

Bo