Re: [HeroQuest-Rules] Re: [meta] Future of Heroquest Rules on Yahoo! Groups

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 19:15:14 +0100

Jane Williams wrote:

> > From: Henk Langeveld <henk_at_... <mailto:henk%40hlangeveld.nl>>
>
> > To: HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:HeroQuest-rules%40yahoogroups.com>
>
> >> Subscribe to the RSS feed
>
> > I keep adding RSS feeds to my Google Reader and forget about them. ;-)
> > I've tried different UIs in the past, including Mozilla live
> bookmarks and
> > iGoogle.
> > So far, iGoogle has been my preference for tracking RSS feeds. I could
> > combine feeds by subject, change preference per feed (number of
> items shown,
> > full text, top lines, or subject only).
>
> Thanks - I haven't done much experimentation yet, so I'll go straight
> to iGoogle.
> So far my preferred RSS feed handler is a bit of code I wrote for one
> forum that looks to see if there's anything NEW (which happens every
> few months), and emails me if there is. I still need to go to the
> forum to read and reply, but at least the notification is where I'll
> see it.

I find RSS pretty useful for low activity forums, since its pretty easy to go to the one new post every once in a while, once you know it's there. Good for blogs, too, for much the same reason. For even a moderately busy forum, it's not very satisfactory, and, as you say, you can't reply in the e-mail. Once the forums get a full e-mail interface set up (assuming they do), it'll be a different issue.

Having said that, while I think this group is useful, it's just as useful to me merged with another list as it is existing as a separate entity. Others, might, of course, have different needs.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Synapsida: http://synapsida.blogspot.com/