Re: [HeroQuest-Rules] So, has anyone experimented with the HQ rules lately?

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 08:14:50 +0100 (BST)

If you mean use some sort of variant rules...

It struck me during extended contests a couple of months ago that the players were specifying what was happening and I was always reacting. This might not be a problem if you don't use extended contests that much but I tend to wheel 'em out once an hour or so per hour of play. There was also the problem of the same character getting an easier target number if you went around the table in the same order. So to stir things up a bit I've started using the initiative system from Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and given the NPCs a chance to kick off an exchange. We've had best part of 20 hours playtesting and it's working really well.

I'd also be interested in finding out how much people use the pass/fail cycle.  When I started playing I used it all the time but it decreased for the first about 3 years on and off out of the 4 years I've been playing it. For the last year I've not really used it at all. Is this a common experience?

Last thing... Anyone else have problems using the play aids in the back of the book? Annoyingly as I've becoming an old fart I'm having a worse time remebering things and while I can remember the old Hero Wars tables I can't remember the HQ II ones. It might be because I play at most once a month for 8 hours at a time. Anyway I came up with a consolidated pair of tables which my two groups are using and seems to smooth out the game instead of getting augment and assist results wrong. I'll post it on the files section and would comments.

Cheers,

Ash