Re: [HeroQuest-Rules] So, has anyone experimented with the HQ rules lately?

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 07:11:01 +0100 (BST)

So why not just change the resistance in the steps described in the resistance class table?  To me using natural language and wrapping each contest in a single value judgement works just as well as "Well he stinks of fish, -6 to your ability and Thompson has a more specific ability than you -3." Might as well just say "bloody hell, that sounds hard!"

The one advantage I can see with all the modifiers in the rules is it helps to break up the flow of thought into easily consumed stages: How difficult is it under normal conditions?  Is it a stretch? Any specific ability bonuses - either type? Any augment? Any consequences of victory or defeat apply? Any situational modifiers?

However it also slows the game down - I have to ask 7 or 8 questions and then the player has to adjust his or her character's target number based on that. While I can add up fairly quickly and accurately modulo 20 at least one of my players in each game can't. You can avoid most (perhaps all?) in game arithmetic if you pre-calculate the resistances.

And I've just read page 51 again - the bit that says: "Because modifiers complicate bookkeeping, it’s always preferable to fold them into a resistance whenever you can." So I'll shut up now.

 From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> Sent: Sunday, 16 September 2012, 23:49
Subject: Re: [HeroQuest-Rules] So, has anyone experimented with the HQ rules lately?

>I suppose the whole thrust of this is that as I play HQ more I can't see the point of situational modifiers (just change the difficulty),

I don't see the distinction here. I change the difficulty by applying a situational modifier to it.

For more HeroQuest information check out the Rules forum on the publisher's website (not linked to this list in any way): http://moondesignpublications.com/forums/heroquest-rules-discussions

Yahoo! Groups Links