Re: So, has anyone experimented with the HQ rules lately?

From: boztakang <daniel.mccluskey_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 18:17:17 -0000

RE: cards as randomizer:

> Another thing that might be interesting is to give each player their own pack and let them keep three in their hands at all times. Then they'd have some control over what happens.

that's a very interesting idea, and one I'd definitely be interested to run some numbers on and see what it would do statistically...

Unfortunately, I think it might tend to distract players from the story a bit. I want my players thinking as much about what their character is trying to do as possible, and fear that managing a hand of cards could take away from the narrative and into metagame concerns. (the minimization of which is the real strength of HeroQuest, imo)

There might be a non-distracting way to use the multiple cards idea for Augments, if the odds work out reasonably... I would really like a quicker way of resolving those, without losing randomization like you do with the existing "quick augment" option.

food for thought )