Re: [HeroQuest-Rules] Re: Dead tree books...

From: Henk Langeveld <henk_at_...>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 10:08:01 +0200

On 07/10/2012 09:36, Jane Williams wrote:
>>> The reason that we require an account is that we have to have a place to
>>> store your shipping address (if ordering hard copy)
>>> or to store the
>
>>> links to your downloads (if ordering electronic copy).
>

> Why not use the details provided by Paypal, which include a billing
> address and unique customer ID? That's how most places I buy from
> on-line work. Yes, there's the opportunity to set up an account, if I
> want to have a record of past transactions, emails about things
> related to what I've bought in the past, and so on, but it's rarely
> compulsory.

I prefer to keep those separate, but this is a good fallback scenario.

> I don't know Drupal, so can't tell you how in detail to do this, but
> since Paypal is handing you the information, Drupal must be able to
> get hold of it and process it.

> In fact, you're potentially hitting legal issues - if you take
> personal details (like an address), you're only allowed to retain it
> for as long as required by the purposes for which you've asked for
> it. If you only need it to send that one order, then you're only
> allowed to retain it for the length of time it takes to process that
> order.

Spot on! Ebook purchases typically garantee unlimited future access to the goods, so that part of the order never concludes. That should not require more than an e-mail loop and/or security question, and the user's permission.

Cheers,
Henk