Re: [HeroQuest-Rules] Augments and arithmetic are irritating...

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 15:00:11 +0100 (BST)

It's not dramatic failure though. Nothing happens. There's no relief of tension, no "My god, didn't think we'd talk our way out of that one" moment. Which is strange 'cause the rest of the rules actively encourage you to not bother with contests where nothing can happen.

 From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> Sent: Sunday, 7 October 2012, 13:53
Subject: Re: [HeroQuest-Rules] Augments and arithmetic are irritating...

> In HQ2 rolling for augments does one of 3 things,
>
> gives a +, may add to the story
>
> does nothing, detracts from the story and the die roll is a waste

That isn't "detracts from the story" at all - dramatic failure isn't a detraction.

> gives a massive - , rarely if at all appears, in consequence is a waste of time.
> So having weighed this up, in my HQ2 games, I use the quick augment option (HQ2
> page p55): "Narrators may choose to run their game with calculated
> augments: divide the augmenting ability by 5 and round."

So that's exactly the same as HQ1

> As for stepping back to HQ1, it's not worth it at all unless you have the
> rules already, even then it's a step backwards in rpg technology.

Eh? Of course we have the rules already.  And going "back" (staying at) HQ1 rules is exactly what you're suggesting yourself.

For more HeroQuest information check out the Rules forum on the publisher's website (not linked to this list in any way): http://moondesignpublications.com/forums/heroquest-rules-discussions

Yahoo! Groups Links