Re: [HeroQuest-Rules] Re: Augments and arithmetic are irritating...

From: Santo Sengupta <aumshantih_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 17:54:15 -0400

Namaste:

What is "little" math to some is "too much" to others. I'm fine with being a PC in a game with a ton of numbers, but I find that personally the fewer I have to deal with, the better of a story I can tell.

Also, there is a huge difference in feel and gameplay from an Augment being a "+2" or "+5" to a roll in HQ, than the equivalent in CortexPlus of having an extra physical die in your pool. There is a certain joy in rolling a bunch of polyhedrals.that's kind of hard-wired into many of us from childhood.

Additionally, CortexPlus' Plot Point / Doom Pool mechanic is simply *brilliant*. Hero Points in HQ are sort of the same, but having them *also* be tied to character advancement makes it tough for PCs to spend them.

There are some issues with CortexPlus - namely it's a finite scale (d4/d6/d8/d10/d12) - but I think that might be fixed by borrowing the Mastery mechanic from HQ in some capacity.

-Santo
aum shanti shanti shantih.
"The world is like the impression left by the telling of a story." - from the Yoga Vāsiṣṭha