Re: [HeroQuest-Rules] Augments and arithmetic are irritating...

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 09:44:09 +0100 (BST)

Answering Gavain's post through the medium of David's - never got the email (forums suddenly sound a far better idea... :-) )

 >> When I first read HQ II the bit about consequences of defeat and victory were before the section on augments. I remember thinking "Oh yes, no more augments! Consequences of victory do everything they used to." Then I hit the bit about augments and I'm still confused about why they're there.

>Because it makes narrative sense. Winning Smile is not always enough to charm the ladies, sometimes you want to ensure success by applying something from that Collection of Exotic Perfumes, or use a relationship with her guild to learn what her favorite color is. In game terms, one main ability, helped by another.

How does "Collection of Exotic Perfumes 2W" as an ability make more narrative sense than "Used Collection of Exotic Perfumes to woo the ladies" +6. Confused of Portland here. In both cases you have to roll something - the narration (which is probably identical for generating the bonus) and mechanics (one die roll for both) are going to be almost the same. And the point is the lingering benefit lingers so once you've worked out how to stench out one group's resistance others will fall before you far easier. Wafting the Lynx around is something that doesn't vary much between contests at least judging by my experience of people I used to work with, although that was more a lingering penalty.

And the big bonus (pardon the pun) is that you don't need a roll to augment the equivalent of the augment next time around. Just seems to be two mechanisms for the same thing with one requiring more dice rolls.