Re: [HeroQuest-Rules] POW Storage Crystals

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 22:19:52 -0400

One answer is simply to use a crystal to augment casting magic. Since augments should be fresh, you cannot repeatedly augment with your crystal. This maps to it becoming exhausted.

It's not at exactly the same rate as in RQ, but…

It's also the case that POW storage crystals are sort of an irrelevant level of detail. Pretty much any RQ character ended up with one or more after a bit, so one can assume that any magic-using HeroQuest character has them too. The same way you don't need to worry about the precise armor a fighting HQ character is wearing. It's only when the crystal — or the armor — becomes noteworthy that you note it.

Also, as I recall correctly the most common need for POW storage was to make sure you could heal up after a fight, and this is not as big an issue with the HQ rules. Again, the scope of the game means it's simply assumed that you take normal adventurer means to heal up after a battle. Perhaps the best way to narrate this is by calling on POW storage crystals…

> So, how do the HQ2 rules implement the concept of "doing a lot of magic is tiring"? If the answer is "they can't", then there is a problem, because when it does add to the story, it can't be added.

In a game where story comes first, that can't be a problem. Anything that enhances the story can be added without needed specific rules.

If tiring out from magic is an accurate representation of the world, then you could simply increase the resistance as the character casts magic, similar to how one can (if one chooses) mechanically adjust resistance with the Pass/Fail table. And then it's easy enough to have a lingering consequence for a failure.

David Dunham