Re: Misapplied Misapplied Worship Rules?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 03:29:43 +0100 (BST)

David Cake:
> What I do dislike is the idea that all religious paths can be
> neatly categorised into one of four ideas, and if they can't, then
> they are doing something wrong and need to be punished by paying
> extra APs for it.

I agree. Though the problem is less with the paths, as with the 'destinations'. I'm quite happy with the veneration/sacrifice/ devotion/asceticism/animism split (though I'd have likely split up animism as being a darn sight too broad, and not left 'devotion' as an orphan sub-paragraph), I just don't think they're remotely 'crisp'. The trouble really starts with the idea of the 'object' of each method having a 'preferred' or 'native' method. Sure, it's doubtless anecdotally true, perhaps even statistically. But I don't think it's a hugely universally valid cosmic truth. Witness the hatfuls of exceptions, and rationalisations of same...

Cheers,
Alex.