Re: Just another ability.

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 10:06:26 +0200

Alex :

> > I'm still working on an essay about feats (intending to explain why
> > feat descriptions aren't a good idea because of the amazing
> > flexibility of Hero Wars).
>
> ... How can _description_ possibly be a bad thing?

Un-flame-war-wise, and un-weird-lit-crit-theory-wise, how about an essay on *abilities* instead of *feats* to show how the amazing flexibility of HW can be used to good effect for the Mundane abilities of heroes ? I think that it would be more useful to show how HW ceases to take for granted many of the bases of traditional RPGs in a *key* area of its design. From a simple domino effect, then, people should realise that as below (abilities) so it is on high (feats) ; and be encouraged to play HW as it should be ...

Actually, I think that the rules of the Elmal contest should be re-done as a short piece on how to write magic keywords. Non-flamewise & non-ad-hominem-wise (but very much kid-glove-wise), those rules are actually far clearer than the relevant section(s) of HW. Particularly, the sentence on four or five 'examples' of Feats appropriate for an Affinity. 'Example' is a very good non-ambiguous word ! For inclusion in HW2 ?

cheers,

Julian Lord