Re: family of Humakti

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 11:48:51 -0400

Nick Brooke wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
>
> > Brad Furst wrote:
> >> I had thought that candidates to Humakt were required to sever all
> >> family ties. Perhaps I am mistaken; does anyone remember such a
> >> point of view?
>
> > You sever all your ties. But there's no reason you can't start new
> > ones!
>
> Not all Humakti sever their family ties. (Most that I know about do not).
> But it is a powerful ritual which can be carried out to make a devoted
> worshipper closer to his God.
>
> This subject has been done to death (appropriately) on the Glorantha Digest
> in years gone by. It seems people who have never had any Humakti PCs in
> their games are willing to insist that everyone severs every family tie
> always; people who actually use the cult are less likely to take such an
> extreme position.
>
> Cheers, Nick

Yes. Our Humakt devotee is ambivalent. However, he felt that as a *devotee* he'd sever the ties. But as an initate, its possible that they'd be kept.

And, in his case, his upcoming marriage is ante-devotee and hence is a new tie. Silly Tarshite.

But I agree, this has been done to death (as it were) elsewhere and is a shining example of... something, anways.

Jeff