Re: Among our many types of animist...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 19:28:19 +0100 (BST)

Jeff K:
> Animist is the word to describe, by our media, anyone not a Christian or
> a Muslim or Jewish in Central Africa.... Seems like a perfectly good
> word to me.

Firstly, I'm not sure that NBC or Fox are necessarily the most authorative of experts on such matters; and secondly, it is _not_ general practice to refer to Central Africans, Tunguskans, Native Americans, Shinto-ists tantra practioners, and anyone else with a remotely ecstatic or anima-attributing element to their religion without qualifiction as 'animist'. (In about half the above cases, 'shamanic' is more usual, with the two not being regarded as quite synonymous.)

> > and a large chunk of the Doraddi tradition, which is closest to
> > what HW presents as 'pure' animism: their core magic is
> > integration, of one sort or another; then there are the 'totemic
> > shamanists', which is how I would understand the trolls, and the
>
> Sorta. The Trolls have Ancestor Worship as their primary focus through
> Big Mummy KL and her children.

The point is, their tradition has little in common with, say, then hsunchen, so a lack of a differentiation between the two practises in rules terms is not

> Could we keep the
> ascerbic level down to something more civil? The posts on this thread
> by a few folks are starting to resemble postings on the GD.

Jeff: let he who is without a snotty attitude cast the first stone.

Cheers,
Alex.