Re: Re: Big God Secrets

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 18:50:04 +0100 (BST)

Nils Weinander:
> As learning a Great God's secret is somewhat equivalent to
> liberation for a mystic

For sufficiently low values of 'somewhat'...

> I suggest the same is applicable
> for mortals who learn the secret of a Great God: they don't
> disappear but become living examples of worship of the god.

I agree. One might think of it as, sufficiently close identifcation with the deity to cause an acute loss of Will. Really, the whole Great God malarky is just a rather long-winded way of saying, "Few Gloranthans worship Great Gods directly, and neither should you."

> I believe there can be such succession of deities in charge of
> material phenomena like the sun. This is how some East Islanders
> explain the difference they observerd in the sun after the event
> known to the west as the Dawn.

Though as I understand it, the difference was a fairly 'subtle' one in any event?

Cheers,
Alex.