Re: Follower question

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 18:50:23 -0400

At 11:49 AM 06/09/2000 +0000, Wulf Corbett wrote:
>Has anyone considered how to represent one of those Horse Followers
>the Grazers get? Or a Yinkinite with a Alynx? Problem is, if you give
>one of the keywords as 'horse' or 'alynx', what ratings does it get,
>and how do they improve? A flat value of -8 and -12 from the Hero's
>values doesn't work - starting with a Big 17 horse is a bit small,
>but would a 10W2 hero really have a Big 2W2 Clydesdale?
>
>Admittedly, you could just give a Horse 'Run Fast' and 'Jump'
>instead, but that doesn't give it much flexibility.

So far, I have used the stats from the NB for the creatures and considered them NPCs. Since their abilities aren't tied to those of the Hero, I have allowed the Hero to use her own HP to spend on the animal companion to raise ability TNs.

If the Hero ever has an ability that exceeds the animals best ability by 8, then I may allow an automatic increase in a single animal ability each time that Hero ability increases.

This makes animals more complex than "human" followers, but it allows you to have an adult animal that isn't a total wimp compared to its unattached brethren.

OTOH, if you want the Hero to start with an immature animal, then the standard follower abilities may be the way to go.

Thanks,
Andy