Re: Patrons

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:56:19 -0400

Benedict Adamson wrote:

> Page 25 lists PATRON as a type of supporting character, but implies
> that they do not have listed abilities, yet page 26, 'Describing Your
> Supporting Character' implies that ALL supporting characters need two
> abilities listed. What must players do during character creation for
> patron supporting characters?

They are much more powerful than your PC. That's sort of out of the rough and ready figures for Followers. And your clan Chief as Patron is not as powerful (but more involved) than say, a Tribal King would be. Very hard to nail down. (I usually let a Patron be 1-2 levels above the Hero in the social strata. Having the Big Red Cheese as your Patron would be done at either hefty penalties or only fora very high end political game) -- remember, a patron has to know who you are and finds you useful.

> Is there a real difference between a PATRON and an ALLY? Is a PATRON
> like an ALLY except you can't call on them to help you, and they keep
> ordering you to do dangerous things: a FLAW, in fact?

A Patron can help you out with wealth, resources, training, even secret knowlege or the loan of a magic item if need be. A patron CAN order you to do things -- think of it as paying the rent. An ally doesn't have these nifty abilities. He's a friend or an associate or the like of *similar* power to you.

> What does the ability rating for a PATRON represent? How often they
> call on you? How infrequently? How cushy the missions are?

It represents your chance of getting their attention. And, the more powerful they are, the mproe difficult it is to get their attention.

> The more I think about PATRONS, the less I like it.

I must disagree. Patrons are very good if you wish to have someone to look up to. A good patron would be your clan/tribal chief or your HeroBand leader. Or your boss. But its not for everyone.

Jeff