Re: D12-a-go-go.

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 23:41:27 +0200

>Mikael Raaterova:
>> Alex, it's a shame you didn't show it off earlier (say, during
>> playtest). I like it a lot. This one should definitely be given
>> elbow-room on the 'variant rules area' on the HW site.
>
>I'm glad you like it! I thought I'd been telling anyone who'd
>listen about it, though, so I'm somewhat surprised you've escaped
>until now...

Quite likely i wasn't paying enough attention at the time. There was a lot of stuff being vented at the time...

> I pretty much gave up on any hope on it being
>officially adopted, since it does require changing the 'game-scale'.

Bollocks. If you transpose the ratings with nWW becoming 1/2nWW (as i will), the only change is that skill increments become coarser; a Good Thing in my book. Simply double the cost of raising ratings (or don't, if you like rapid char dev). And an added bonus is that enhancements have a bigger effect.

>To blow my own trumpet a little more, it has the advantage of
>eliminating the 'Mastery seam' problem entirely, and also if makes
>the chances of getting crits and fumbles vary somewhat more smoothly.

Eminent. And since transition to your D12-rolling (using my approach) requires minimal work, i feel that your idea _must_ be published.

Yes, i like duodekahedrons.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]