Re: Combat in Simple contests and other stuff.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 23:13:58 +0100 (BST)

Michael Cule:
> In message <200006131634.RAA00091_at_...>, Alex Ferguson
> <abf_at_...> writes
> >Marg.: -N to augmenting ability for rest of the scene
> >Minor: -N to augmenting ability for rest of the episode
> >Major: -N to augmenting ability for rest of the season (or year, to taste).
> >Comp.: -N to augmenting ability, permanently
> >
> >where N is the level of augment attempted. Or some permutation thereof.
>
> Mystic hoo-ha is the only place where currently you risk permanent loss
> on a simple dice roll

Don't get me started... Though this has well and truly polluted theism too, what with Secrets and what-not.

> and personally I'd be against the idea in what may
> be a character's chief connection to his god.

Hardly that, we're talking about one affinity, not about his actual 'Relationship' score. (Well, unless you're going for a DI Augment...) And you do have to be going some to get a complete defeat: about a 0.25% chance, normally... (Optimists who're attempting a augment against a resistance that has bump-ups against them, don't come crying to me...)

It does create the wrinkle that flubbing one Feat screws up several others (regardless of whether it's permanent or not). No real way around that, without Much Tinkering.

Cheers,
Alex.