Re: Combat in Simple contests and other stuff.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 00:03:08 +0100 (BST)

Jeff K:
> I'm generally opposed to stripping any character of hard earned HP's on
> a random thow of the dice.

Of ability ratings, rather. Personally, I don't think ratings, and magic ratings especially, should have 'plot protection'. If you go around meddling in god's domain, I think a modest risk of 'blowback' is only reasonable. After all, working magic is 'importing' a little bit of the Other Side into the mundane world, and in the Other Side, 'gambling' huge chunks of your Self (i.e., your ability ratings) is quotidian stuff.

> In the case of Mystic Strikes, the fact that
> you can drop your opponent in one shot is what makes the fumble gamble
> at least somewhat of a downside.

Not clear what you're saying is the _upside_ to mystic strikes, though. Any foo-el can bet enough to win a contest in one go, pretty much. Well, unless you're a 'non-Hero', or grossly outmatched... The main benefit you get is the 'special effect', which since you need to win the contest outright anyway, is really just the cherry on the top.

Cheers,
Alex.