Re: knacks, talents, etc.

From: Kevin Blackburn <kevin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 20:13:50 +0100

In article <305E3FEA32F4D2118D7A00A0C9AFCC129D0DFB_at_...>, Weihe, David <Weihe_at_...> writes
>> One of the things I liked about character creation in
>> Ars Magica was "knacks"
>
>OK, but not if they are used for things in existing
>skill sets that a character will have. I.e., although
>really, no one is going to become a very successful
>warrior without a Knack With Weapons, that is one that
>warrior characters should not be allowed to take.

"Knack with weapons" is not actually as silly as it sounds - compare it to, say "Strong" - the knack can only be used to augment weapon use, the latter has all sorts of applications. Given that you can only have one non-magical augmentation, it might well suit a players understanding of a character to just say "He's good with weapons".

Unless of course you can use the skill "Close Combat" as the source of an augmentation of itself, which definitely sounds silly.

--
Kevin Blackburn                         Kevin_at_...