Re: APs

From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:27:39 +0100

>Imagine this scene: Two unarmored men holding heavy crossbows stand
>facing each other three meters apart. One is a fourth level hero (say
>applicable skills of 10W3 = 70 AP or 35 D&D hp), the other a first
>level hunter(say applicable skills of 12 = 12 AP or 6 D&D hp). It
>plays out the same in both HW and D&D:
>
> Hero: "Go ahead, make my day."
>
> Hunter: "Okay."
>
> Twang, thunk! (critical success)
>
> Hero: "Not nearly good enough... punk. Are you feeling lucky,
>now?"
>
> Twang, thunk! (failure bumped up to critical success)
>
> Hunter: "Ack!" (dies)
>
>So Mike, how would it play out in your new variant?
>
>-- Tim

I think the crucial difference is this is pretty much the _only_ way to play it in D&D. e.g.,

Hero: "Go ahead, make my day."
Hunter: "Okay."
Twang, thunk! (Hunter: critical success)

              (Hero: resisting with 6 immune to weapons - fails and dies)

It all rests on what "applicable skills of 10W3" means. Personally, unless he has 10W3 immune to crossbow bolts, lightning reflexes etc, he might well get stuffed. Even with a mastery in a defending ability the Hero can be put out of the contest - in fact I think he or she needs at least two masteries to stay in against a ranged combat ability of 12. (All assuming you don't just use the simple contest rules for two on-shot exchanges).

Thom