Re: knacks, talents, etc.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:59:58 +0100 (BST)

Wulf:
> I see no problem in buying a single Feat up at the same cost as an
> ability (cheaper than an affinity), just note it as
>
> Affinity: Movement 5W (Leap Over Water, Run on Treetops+2, Run over
> Mud)

Makes sense to me. I think this earlier occurred to me, but at time of ranting, the fact that affinities were more expensive than abilities slipped my mind.

Of course, the same fix applies to abilities, as you say:

> I'd like to do the same for Close & Ranged Combat, but they're treated
> as single abilities already! Maybe I'll increase their cost to that of
> an affinity? Maybe I'll make it a point cheaper per EXTRA level of
> advancement (ie a +2 costs 2/4, +3 costs 4/8)... The point is, costs
> are linear anyway, so giving these extra bonuses is pretty fair, so
> long as the result is less than the intended (but more expensive) one.

Right. I think the draft sit-mod table could be drafted in here (owch -- sorry), and extended.

Basic thought: you can take a 'narrow' ability, and always get the bonus. Applying it outside of that range gets stiff penalties (say, at least double the bonus). for the sake of sanity. Cost is 1/2 HP, or a single 'tag' in your description.

Or, you can take a 'normal breadth' ability, and _a modifying circumstance. You get to use the normal ability, well, normally, but inside the specified range or circumstances, you get the bonus. Cost is 1/2 for the ability, and 1/2 for the modifier, or one 'tag-phrase' for each. This is roughly how the draft rules version worked.

Or, you can do the above, then then spend _extra_ HPs on the bonus. Maybe something like 1 HP per extra half (third? quarter?) of the basic specificity bonus.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Alex.