Re: SV: knacks, talents, etc.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 23:30:53 +0100 (BST)

Erik Sieurin:
> Sounds good, but could you provide some concrete descriptions, please?

Dang, bluff called! OK, here's the table looted out of the earlier HW draft.

Frequence of Occurrence                 |   Bonus

Many times per episode                  |   +1/-1

Once per episode                        |   +2

Once every few episodes                 |   +3

Hardly ever                             |   +6

So, if I take an 'ability' like 'Hate Black Oak Clan', then it applies _only_ in that narrow set of circumstances: it implies little, if any, likelihood of hating anyone else, after all. Let's say I get a +3, or maybe a +6 for it. Let's say +6, since it's only actually _useful_ fairly rarely. Because of that relative narrowness, I get to increase it (let's say) +3 per 1HP. If it was a little bit more common, perhaps it would only be +2 per 1HP.

To take the 'sit-mod' case, let's take an ability such as ' Sword and Shield Fighting'. Suppose I want a modifier, such as 'skilled at fighting trolls', or 'knows tricksy disarm maneouvers', or whatever. Then I 'buy' both the base ability, _and_ the modifier, for which I get the bonus as above, when it applies. Also, I can increase the size of the bonus if I lavish extra HPs on it, as above.

Cheers,
Alex.