Re: Indices.

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:55:38 +0800

>Roderick and Ellen Robertson on automagic indexing:
>
>> Even having the electronic copy is no good, unles you have the Layout file.
>
>Obviously both would be best (if one has the facilities to deal
>with them). However, speaking personally, I'd far sooner attempt this
>from an electronic copy (unlaid-out or no) _and_ the hardcopy, than the
>hardcopy alone.

        Indeed. Reading 'Mastering Regular Expressions' at the moment, and finding the idea of indexing without the benefit of such tools rather unncecessarily unpleasant.

>> The easiest way to do the index is to take the Glossary and find all
>> occurances of the words.
>
>And the easiest way to find all the occurrences is electronically,
>regardless of whether this gives you page numbers directly.

	Absolutely. Viva automation.
	I understand that Issaries has very minimal resources, and
that this index is not a high priority for Issaries (though I think it should be higher priority than it apparently is). But giving the people preparing the index access to the electronic versions (preferably with layout info, but even without) would seem to be a reasonable request, and one that will improve both the efficiency and quality of the index creation project immensely.
	Cheers
		David