Re: AP example

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:30:40 +0200

Thom :

> OK, but I don't think the similarity with D&D HPs is that striking.

I disagree. Yes, there are two major differences :

  1. APs cover all contests, not just Combat
  2. APs are Relative while D&D HPs are Personal*

However, the basic *function* of both is the same : if you have many APs/HPs, then you are very powerful. But is there actually anything *wrong* with this similarity ? I don't think so ...

> As I mentioned elsewere D&D HPs are an abstraction of not just situational
> factors, but skill and capacity to take wounds.

Not if you believe Gygax' early articles (reprinted in in Best Of Dragon IIRC). He described them pretty much as a mechanic to simulate a PC's ability to *avoid* being wounded ...

cheers,

Julian Lord