Re: AP example

From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:41:56 +0100

> From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
>Subject: Re: AP example
>> As I mentioned elsewere D&D HPs are an abstraction of not just situational
>> factors, but skill and capacity to take wounds.

I still disagree (but it is a matter of extent). As I said, the resemblance is far from striking IMO

>Not if you believe Gygax' early articles (reprinted in in Best Of Dragon IIRC).
>He described them pretty much as a mechanic to simulate a PC's ability to
>*avoid* being wounded ...

Gygax' rationalizations of all sorts of D&D mechanics always seemed to post hoc, and (in many cases) laugable. For example, how does this square with a heal light wounds being able to restore a near dead PC to full health at low level, but barely have any effect at low level. Other examples are left as an excerise to the reader.

Thom