Re: Mass combat and collective ratings.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 01:02:35 +0100 (BST)

Brian Laxson:
> Okay... here is a question. You have spearmen with a skill of 17. Do you bring
10 or 100?

> The "pure" rules in the book give you 17 AP for 10 and 17 AP for 100.

No, that's not right. (Or at least, unless I misunderstand or misremember them!) They give you 170 AP, and 1700 AP, respectively. (Isn't that 'em, lads?) Also in line with the rules for followers.

> > As are the existing HW rules. In both cases, though, one would
> > want to apply common sense: one guy with a TN of 4W4 and 1000
> > guys at 14 should _not_ be treated as 14W4+augments/1084, would be
> > my off the top of my head guess...
> >

> The issue of "what is the minimium?" for that starter skill is something that
isn't yet
> fully sorted out. I agree that one guy 4w4 backed by a horde should get his
skill and the
> horde's damage soaking ability. hmmm... for my submission you could say that
scaling
> factor (typcially 5) is the minimium number needed to count for skills.

Not a bad idea. One can finesse this by saying it's determined by the 'doctrine' of each partioculat 'troop type', so as to give a handy deus ex machina, though that doesn't help the poor GM too much.

Cheers,
Alex.