Re: AP example

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 10:28:17 +0200

Alex :

> Me > > Not if you believe Gygax' early articles (reprinted in in Best Of Dragon
> > > IIRC). He described them pretty much as a mechanic to simulate a PC's
> > > ability to *avoid* being wounded ...
> >
> > Which it entirely fails to do, of course.

Yep !! ;-)

> > AD&D hit points are a classic example of 'more effort
> > spend on rationalising the duff rule we have, than thinking
> > of a better one'.

Certainly !!

But IMO such "a mechanic to simulate a PC's ability to *avoid* being wounded", as described by Gygax in his writings (but not in his rules systems), is basically a good idea. My point here is simply to offer food for thought to anyone who wants to adapt cool HW rules stuff to Simulationist rules systems : from this POV, APs and HPs are not so far apart as they initially appear ...

Well ; not much more to be said on that subject ...

cheers,

Julian Lord