Re: Re: multiple attacks

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 09:29:05 -0700

> Anyway, suppose that I want to use the rule as it is written (after all if
> I run a demo I can't use my HR, can't I?). Are edges (such as weapon
ranks)
> added after the split or before? And handicaps? Especially armor ranks,
> which could be different between the two opponents (this could be a FAQ,
as
> the multiple attack rule is not so clear IMO).

Edges and Handicaps are applied to the AP Bid *before* multiplication. Armor rank is subtracted from Weapon rank to get a net edge/handicap.

So yes, you could have a different edge/handicap if you attack multiple people who are wearing different armor:
Joe Sartar is armed with a Sword (15w^3). He does a multiple attack against three broos (Close Combat 15); one has no armor (^0), one has leather (^3), and one has rock-hard chitin armor (^7). He has a ^3 edge against the No-armor, a ^0 against Leather and ^-4 handicap against Chitin. He bids 10AP, and swings. He needs to roll against 9w (15w -6 for multiple targets).

Scenario 1: He rolls a 2 for a critical and the broos roll 11, 15 and 16 for two success. He beats all of them, and checking the chart he has a x1 Transfer. He can allocate the AP loss in any manner he wants, and applies the Edge/Handicap before the Transfer. He decides to allocate his 10 ap: 1 against No-armor (with the edge that becomes a 4 AP loss for No Armor). 3 against Leather for a 3 AP loss, and 6 against Chitin for a 2 AP loss (6 bid -4 handicap). he gains a net +9 AP in the transfer

Scenario 2: He rolls a 2 for a critical and the broos roll two failure and a Fumble. He gets a x3 Transfer. he allocates his AP in the same manner as Scenario 1 (1, 3, 6) and applies edges/handicaps. he gets back 12, 9 and 6 AP respectively. He gains a net +27 AP in the transfer.

Scenario 3: He rolls a 2 for a critical and the broos roll 11, 15 and 16 for two success. He beats all of them, and checking the chart he has a x1 Transfer. He can allocate the AP loss in any manner he wants, and applies the Edge/Handicap before the Transfer. He decides to allocate his 10 ap: 4 against No-armor (with the edge that becomes a 7 AP loss for No Armor). 5 against Leather for a 5 AP loss, and 1 against Chitin for a 0 AP loss (1 bid -4 handicap; he can't lose AP when he wins). he gains a net +12 AP in the transfer.

Scenario 3: He rolls an 10 for a Success. The broos roll 11, 15 and 16, so he has beaten all of them, but there was at least one success in the mix. He can allocate his 10 AP as he wishes, and applies the Edge/Handicap to his final disposition.

Scenario 4: He rolls a 16 for a success and the broos roll 11, 15, 16. He is defeated (two broo have better rolls than he). He loses his 10 AP (Edges/Handicaps are *not* applied).

Scenario 5: He rolls a 10 for success and this time the broos roll 1, 15, 16 for a Critical Hit! He transfers 20 AP, which go to the opponent who rolled lowest/best - the one that Criticaled. (Hmm, a bit of Errata - the transfer should go to the opponent who rolled *best and* lowest - if a person criticals (because of a bump) with a 3, and his buddy rolled a 2 (but only a success), then the one who criticaled should get the Transfer. I need to clean up this explanation for the Errata).

RR