Re: Mysticism

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 15:47:53 EDT

In a message dated 6/17/00 12:30:37PM, you write:

<< Hero' is such a slippery term... Orlanthi tribal champions  and the like are W3. Never sleeping seems an odd thing for every  W2 mystic in the world to have...>>

Never sleeping seems to be the opposite of what some mystics migth want to achieve - I'm thinking of some king who was put to sleep, only to be awoken by Lord Vishnu, - ie sleep was desired state. Anyway, whichever way you go (to sleep or not to sleep) I agree that W2 mystics shouldn't be able to do it all the time.

> > Also it
> > should be more school-specific. Running around nekkid would be
> > more within some mystic's Idiom than others, who might 'prefer'
> > ones with different application (like more martial ones, most
> > obviously).

Agreed.

<< Seriously, though, any concession to something useful, other  than surity of achieving Liberation, is ipso facto evidence  of 'manifestness'.>>

But there should be useful powers to be had at the cost of spiritual advancement; there must be some temptation to give in to, and for Game Fun it should be a temptation to the player, as well as the character.

I think there could be a strong link between character progression, and the 'manifestation' of the mystic powers. The game mechanic that best relates to these two things is the Hero Point. Following this line of thought, the use of mystic abilities should be some sort of ability at manipulating Hero Points.

The idea then, is that during a contest the mystic ability* is tested against something** before an exchange, success giving the character a Bump Up, as if he had spent a Hero Point. The character would also gain a 'Negative Hero Point' , being in debt,entangled in the world of temptation. These negative Hero Points can either be used to buy a flaw/buy up a flaw (because the character has entangled himself in some aspect of the world), to buy down an ability (not sure about this), or simply to require paying off before 'positive' Hero points can be gained.

The idea is to be able to simulate failed mystics, like Sheng Seleris, who

have achieved great things (because he can keep bumping all his results), but
who are unable to progress (because of their Hero Point debt), or who have
lots of Really Heavy Flaws (eg: Sheng's: Hated and Feared by Everyone 5W4?).

*here the various 'Lightning Claw', and 'Pig's Trotter' Strikes could be invoked, with improv penalties if not appropriate. I guess Strikes counld be used when an Actor, Counters when an Opponent.

This table also needs improvements
complete victory - gain bump
major victory - gain bump, and -1HP
minor victory - gain bump, and ?
marginal victory - gain bonus?
marginal defeat - gain penalty?
minor defeat - -1HP
major defeat - -1 HP, negative bump
complete defeat - -1HP, and negative Bump, lose some Mystic philosophy ability?

So, an incomplete and probably unbalanced mechanic for 'mystic' stuff. Improvements, suggestions and the pointing out of obviously stupid loopholes that I have overlooked are welcome.

Keith N