Re: Mysticism

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 03:38:05 +0100 (BST)

Kmnellist:
> Never sleeping seems to be the opposite of what some mystics migth want to
> achieve - I'm thinking of some king who was put to sleep, only to be awoken
> by Lord Vishnu, - ie sleep was desired state. Anyway, whichever way you go
> (to sleep or not to sleep) I agree that W2 mystics shouldn't be able to do it
> all the time.

Right.

> << Seriously, though, any concession to something useful, other
> than surity of achieving Liberation, is ipso facto evidence
> of 'manifestness'.>>
>
> But there should be useful powers to be had at the cost of spiritual
> advancement; there must be some temptation to give in to, and for Game Fun it
> should be a temptation to the player, as well as the character.

Indeed. What I dislike about Nils' rules is that by being 'more orthodox than thou' one might get some cheesy ability that _does not_ by taking a more manifest one. That is, one can have a manifest ability by being orthodox that's impossible to get by being manifest. Perverse incentives, indeed...

Cheers,
Alex.