Re: Mass combat and collective ratings.

From: Brian Laxson <b1laxson_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 09:00:27 -0400

> From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Mass combat and collective ratings.
>
> Brian Laxson:
> > Okay... here is a question. You have spearmen with a skill of 17. Do you bring
> 10 or 100?
> >
> > The "pure" rules in the book give you 17 AP for 10 and 17 AP for 100.
>
> No, that's not right. (Or at least, unless I misunderstand or
> misremember them!) They give you 170 AP, and 1700 AP, respectively.
> (Isn't that 'em, lads?) Also in line with the rules for followers.

Ah.... cheez... 1700 AP. Well that is one way to do it.

However, without adjusting the skill factors I could expect Agnar at 6w2 sword and shield to run up to those 1700 AP and soak it up into transfers onto himself. Unless you pile those 1700AP onto the elite fighters which would probably be the case.

The alternative rules effecitevly allow you to choose whether each group will act like a follower (adding AP) or as an ally (augmenting your skill). It also lowers down the amount of AP involved.

BTW, most of the extensive setup can be done outside the game session. A narrator could run a "gathering allies" type adventure and make some rolls before hand to see what augments or AP adds will occur. Then in session the narrator adds on the allies that do actually show up.

Brian Laxson
Agnar, Patrol Leader