Re: Misapplied worship benefits

From: philip.hibbs_at_...
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 16:16:42 +0100

>...although there seems to be a much bigger push
>to eliminate or discriminate against characters that
>cross magic systems compared to RQ, in Hero Wars
>there are only very minimal benefits to be gained?

>Makes me wonder very much where the motivation
>behind this is coming from.

I think it's just a case of Greg realising that it is difficult to do in Glorantha, so it's difficult to do in Hero Wars, without it necessarily being a game-balance issue.

I can't see many people paying double to improve an alien ability, but I can see them buying them at basic level as a utility ability. I might like to be able to start fires, even though I know that once the campaign level has advanced so far that I'm never going to be able to burn an enemy's face off, but the basic ability to start a fire with magic will still come in handy. Likewise, say, flight - it may be prohibitively expensive to keep the ability on a par with the rest of the party, but being capable of keeping one's feet off the ground has got to be handy.

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.