Re: Hshuschen-esque Spirits/Totems

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 14:59:37 -0700

> I decided to treat the character as an spirit-talker "holy person"
> Telmori spirit ally and assume that the character had somehow over time
> learned about Telmor so he could direct some worship towards that
> quarter. The rest of the clan thinks he is mad or possessed, but
> they've never had problems with wolves since adopting him, so they
> accept him.

I'd probably not have given him either Spirit Talker or Telmor. The Telmori aren't Heortling, and I doubt that there is anyone in Heortling society who could lead him along the path of Wolfie-ness. If you allowed the Spirit talker keyword, I'd have made it Kolat or one of the other "approved" Heortling spirit talker traditions (yeah, I *know* they're not out yet).

He is divorced from his "rightful" religion, and probably feels constraints and problems due to his Nature drawing him one way (towards wolves) and his Nurture (upbringing) tugging him another (towards the storm gang). Unless someone in the clan figures out exactly what he is, he'll never really become a Telmori - he won't know to integrate spirits to learn how to shapechange voluntarily (you *do* remember that the Telmori are under Gbaji's curse and change into ravening beasts once a week, right?), and won't have the Telmor Tradition knowledge. Now, somewhere down the line you might allow him to "run into Telmor accidently" on the spirit plane (or maybe a pack of Telmori) and learn of his "true" nature (and religion).

> I was wondering if anyone had fully groked the Hshuschen totem magic yet
> and could offer some advice about how to treat this character.

This character shouldn't be allowed to use the Hsunchen magics until he manages to learn about them, and he probably won't in parochial Heortling society. Plan an adventure where he meets up with Telmor/Telmori and learns of his true heritage.

Roderick